Friday, September 11, 2009

Coming Around Again?

In 5th and 6th grade, I begged and learned to play the viola. I quit after 6th grade. I have regretted quiting and wish I kept it up. I have not mentioned this to my kids though.

Ashley came home from school the first week with a form to fill out and stated that she wanted to be part of the string instruments program and that she wanted to play the viola. I was hesitant at first, but I found her a good starter viola for a good price, and I figure the lessons are free, and I can sale her viola if she decides it is not something she wants to continue. I asked her why she chose the viola when the rest of her girl friends are all playing violin. She said she thought it sounded fun to do something "a little different." Apparently, she almost chose the cello. So, Ashley is now one of 13 3rd graders learning to play viola. There are 58 learning violin.

Her instrument arrived Wednesday. Yesterday was the first day to take the instruments to school. The music teacher tuned them all up and got the bows rosined etc. So far, Ashley loves "practicing," which amounts to dragging her bow randomly across several strings. I am trying to show her how to play twinkle twinkle little star, the only thing I remember how to play. I hope we get there at some point. :)


practicing on her not yet tuned viola. Yikes.


Ready to take it to school.

1 comment:

M and M said...

did she go with the Viola because it is slightly larger than the violin ;-) hope she enjoys playing!