Sunday, January 31, 2010

Climbing the Tower

A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting with some friends about wanting to visit the National Cathedral. I haven't been there since 1993, and there is some fun history and much beauty there. I got on the website and came across information for the Spring tower climb. Apparently, twice a year at the National Cathedral, they have a tower climb. Those who buy tickets for that specialized event, climb the spiral staircase up to the top of the bell tower. There is a tour explaining the architecture on the way up, a demonstration of ringing the bells, and a spectacular view of Washington D.C. from the top.


I was really excited reading about the tower climb. I have set a goal to get into better shape. I haven't exercised regularly since we left Virginia, and it feels icky. This not only sounded like fun, but it sounded like great incentive. I am not anywhere near the shape I should be in to climb 333 stairs. I thought about it and even asked around. A lot of people thought it sounded cool, but I didn't have any takers to do it with me. The date was March 13th. After much thought, I decided not to shoot for the Spring time but to keep a watch out for dates for the fall climb.

It sounds like I gave up before starting. However, my decision was based upon wanting to really feel like I conquered something while enjoying everything else that goes with it. I don't see climbing that many stairs as ever being easy, but I think that giving myself more than 6 weeks to prepare will allow myself to get to a place where I am fit to face the challenge rather than just fit enough to perhaps make it through. So, if you read this and feel inclined, ask me how my preparation for the fall tower climb is going. I could probably use the reminder to make sure I am ready. If you want to join me, the more the merrier, and I could always use someone to push me when it gets tough.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I am just catching up on your blog and saw this about the Tower Climb. I would LOVE to do something like that! Let me know when the fall date comes and I'd love to join for that fun outing. A few years ago Mike and I climbed to the top of St. Paul's cathedral in London and I just loved the view and all the crazy staircases to get to the top. Thanks for sharing a fun idea!