Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy 4th of July

I have neglected my blog for the past couple of months. The combination of being busy with the end of school and meetings regarding Jon's future, the natural busy that comes with the summer and my church calling and the fact that my laptop (which, let's face it makes it SOOO much more convenient) has spent more days away from home than here, has created a sad neglect. I actually miss blogging, so I will make large backward data dumps in the next few days.

For now, I wanted to wish everyone a happy 4th of July. I have to admit that I am not Summer's biggest fan. However, I have learned over the years that it is what you make of it, and I am looking forward to large parts of this summer. Still, I do love the 4th of July. After our crazy whirlwind of a 4th last year, we decided to keep it simple this year. Add to that the fact that Trent has contracted this summer virus we've all been sharing since school got out, and the stick around home decision was an easy one.

The kids and I made patriotic luminaries this year. It was a lot of fun and turned out pretty. The kids are already excited to try some for Halloween. We had a great Sunday at church, and didn't the kids look super cute for the 4th? :)









It is too bad that the flash doesn't allow you to see how nicely the bags looked with the candles glowing inside of them. Oh well.


We arrived home to Trent on the phone with work. Yes, even on the 4th of July, the oil spill doesn't take a break. That was short lived though, and we had a quiet afternoon and then barbecued and joined several neighborhood families for fireworks out on the sidewalk. It was really fun. Even Jon, who is not a big fan of the noise the fireworks make, loosened up and sat with the other kids and clapped for the amature fireworks show. It turns out that somewhere in the area, someone actually has a cannon and does the big fireworks, many of which we could see through the trees in our backyard, so that was a fun bonus. Trent and I participated in our annual viewing of the musical, 1776, which, while not completely historically accurate, is really funny.


I hope you all enjoyed your 4th and that I haven't been so neglectful that you won't check back in from time to time.

4 comments:

M and M said...

Love the dresses! Sounds like a quite, yet fun day.

Shea said...

Yay! I have missed your posts. Love the picture! All three kids look super patriotic. Adorable.

How did you make the luminaries?

Tiffany said...

Shea, I just got red white and blue bags at Michaels and cheap votives in glass holders. You don't have to use glass holders, but I like it better that way, because there is less mess and more control of the molten wax. A dozen candles was on sale for $4. I bought a bag of paving sand at Lowes, because a big bag of it there was the same price as a small bag of decorative sand at Michaels, and I would have needed several bags of the decorative sand. Anyhow, the kids decorated the bags with stickers and glitter glue and used the hole punch and star punch to cut out shapes. We then put a couple of inches of sand in the bottom of each bag and placed a candle in the middle. Really simple but fun.

Shea said...

Awesome Tiff! Thank you!