Monday, January 24, 2011

Lemon Drop Cookies

What better way to come back where I am than to share a recipe?

I made these for a cookie exchange in December. Owen didn't leave me a lot of time to do anything complicated, and these looked great to me since I love lemon (citrus in general actually). They did not disappoint. They were popular at the exchange, and I really like them. They are light (in texture, not necessarily calorically). They come from the Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies magazine that Trent's Aunt Dee bought me several years ago. I swear that magazine is a regular go to for me. Anyhow, here is the recipe. Give a try. You will glad you did.

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream (I used light because that is what I by unless I stop and think not to. It did not seem to adversely affect the texture)
1/3 cup lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed for what it is worth)
2 cups all purpose flour
Lemon Glaze (stir together 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice)
Coarse Sugar
Yellow gum drops, chopped (I did not use these. They sounded texturally unappealing to me)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup sugar, lemon peel, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, sour cream, and lemon juice until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.

2. Drop dough by slightly rounded tablespoons 3 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake about 8 minutes or until tops are firm. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Brush the tops of warm cookies with Lemon Glaze. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and decorate with chopped gumdrops (or not). Let cookies cool. Makes about 3 dozen

No comments: