Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Visit from Grandpa Jon


Grandpa Jon had business in Washington D.C. and then spent the following weekend (March 14-16) with us. It was so great to have him here. Ashley counted down the days until his arrival, and the kids loved having Grandpa visit. He hardly had a moment or free lap space as a result.

The only downside was that it was writing week for Trent, whose paper was due on Monday, the 17th. (See blog post below, Hooray for Trent) He really wanted to spend more time with his dad than he did. Thanks Grandpa Jon for being so understanding.

Trent picked up his dad in D.C. on Friday, and they were home in time for dinner. After dinner, Trent went off to write, and Grandpa was subjected to Friday movie night. This week's selection was Sky High. How fun is that I ask you?


Saturday meant a trip to Monticello, of course. Don't you all want to come visit just so you can go to Monticello? Trent, Grandpa Jon, and Ashley made the trek. Ashley has now proudly been to Monticello 3 times. After all of that fun, we all met at the JAG School for lunch. It was SUCH a beautiful day! We got to picnic outside. Trent stayed behind to write, and the rest of us headed off to Michie's Tavern.



We didn't take the tour. I don't know that Sami would have been up for that. I think I would like to sometime. Anyhow, we checked out the general store and mill for gifts to send home to Grandma Lula, Aunt Dee, and Aunt Linda (Trent's grandma and aunts). Then, we walked around the tavern shop and visited the clothier. Luckily, Grandpa had his camera. I left ours in the car. At the clothier that day, they were letting the kids dress up and get their pictures taken. Ashley and Sami put on colonial dresses, and Grandpa took their picture. When we get that picture, I'll be sure to post it. Jon didn't want to dress up. I hope it was just that he wasn't in the mood and not a result of my not letting him wear anything grey last time we were at the clothier.

After that outing, we were ready to head home for a break. We went home and showed Grandpa how to catch the American Idol performances he had missed that week on youtube. Youtube can be great. Grandpa helped Jon ride his bike and fixed Sami's so that it was easier to ride. Grandpa Jon is great!

After dinner and putting kids in bed, I introduced Grandpa Jon to Heroes. We watched the first three episodes of Season 1. I think I have my third convert. Though my friend Lisa (second convert) is admittedly addicted to the story line, she also claims to be more than willing to watch just for the sake of the Petrelli brothers (Adrian Pasdar and Milo Ventimiglia) and Adam Monroe (David Anders). You aren't watching Heroes yet? We may need to talk.

Thanks Grandpa Jon for such a great visit. It was so nice to see you.






5 comments:

Shea said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time! I really wish we could visit soon...

That is great that you got him to watch Heroes! That is seriously the best show..I love it! Yay!

M and M said...

Heroes? Isn't that a sandwich? Looks like you guys had fun!

Tiffany said...

Ha! No Heroes is not a sandwich. But of course, you know that even though you don't watch. It is my absolute favorite thing on television.

Katie said...

So fun to see the beautiful countryside where you live. I've been to Monticello, and I can't believe you get to live in such a beautiful place!

Thanks also for being a frequent poster on my blog--it's so fun to reconnect after all these years! Glad to hear from you.

Tiffany said...

Listen to you, currently living in Australia just off Manly Beach, talking about living in beautiful places.

ALWAYS very glad to hear from you. Thank you.