Sunday, April 13, 2008

Jamestown

We did so much over Spring Break. We did a lot even for our two days in Williamsburg. As a result, I will probably do several posts. Our initial plan was to travel to Williamsburg Monday morning and be there by 10:00 a.m. when Busch Gardens opened. It was cold and raining off and on as we drove, so we switched our plans and went to Jamestown and Yorktown on Monday and Busch Gardens on Tuesday.

The weather mostly cooperated. We didn't really get rained on just misted on a bit. It was cold, but we had coats, and (thanks to Trent) hats for everybody. We were plenty warm.

Jamestown is so great. The indoor museum part has so much information and is broken up along a time line starting with 1607 and moving forward. There is enough to do and explore that the kids liked that part too. The outdoor museum portion is amazing. Everything is hands on, which is fun for the kids and for us as well. Outside, they have a recreation of a Powhatan village, replicas of the three ships that initially arrived at Jamestown in 1607 to establish the first permanent English settlement in the Americas, and the James Fort.

Ashley was really excited about the Powhatan village (especially after she learned that Pocahontas was real).

Ashley using oyster shells to scrape the hair off of the deer hide

Ashley and Samantha at the door of a hut. Ashley is pounding corn into cornmeal.

Inside the hut

After the village, we went to the waterfront to see the ships. Jon kept begging to see the "pirate ships." It was really fun. I was surprised at how small the ships are considering how many people traveled on them. No wonder so many of them died on the journey. On a ship that 12 people crew when they sail it now, nearly 100 people traveled. I know, I know, get on with the pictures already.

The Susan Constant (The largest of the three ships)


On the deck of the Susan Constant


One of the racks (beds) aboard the Susan Constant

Jon manning a canon

Looking from the Susan Constant past the Discovery to the Elizabeth and the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Elizabeth didn't actually make the original journey to Jamestown in 1607. It is standing in place of the Godspeed, which is being worked on. Last year was the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement. Queen Elizabeth was present for a ceremony last spring I believe. I think the Elizabeth has been there since.


The Discovery. See how small it is? Nearly 2/3 of the individuals traveling on The Discovery died in passage to the Americas. The trip (depending on stops) took anywhere from 8 weeks to 3 1/2 months.

Jon and Sami swabbing the deck

Now onto James Fort. (What?!?!? Aren't you done with this post yet?!?) I haven't written much or been interesting I know, but it was such a great time and a great place to visit. I can't help but post all these pictures. I am sure most of my 6 regular readers won't mind. Besides, I left out all the gunpowder storage pics and the firing of the musket pics. That scared Samantha by the way.

The outside of the fort


The kids trying on armor at the armory. I think they look a bit like Oompa Loompas

The Anglican Chapel

Trent giving a sermon

Making nails at the Smithy


AND FINALLY!!!!

The hem of Sami's pants an inch deep in Jamestown mud I am sure of it.

Next up, Yorktown. There are fewer pictures. Some of you might actually make it to the end of that post to make a comment.




5 comments:

M and M said...

Cool! Looks like the kids had a blast. Bet they were worn out at the end of the day ;-)

Tiffany said...

Everyone had a blast (especially me). We followed this up with a trip out to Yorktown and then some swimming at the hotel. Everyone was sufficiently worn out. In fact, every day this last week was another excercise in wearing everyone out. It was fun though.

Nicole Brown said...

Now I do not even have to go to Jamestown. I feel like you gave me the complete tour. Thanks!

Shea said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a great trip! I loved all of the pictures!!

Katie said...

I absolutely love Williamsburg and Jamestown, and would love to take the kids there someday to learn the history and enjoy it. I went in college and had a great time. Fun to see your pictures of it, and it looks like your trip was great. I love Spring Break trips--I never mind the less than perfect weather if it means we don't fight crowds and heat. Thanks for posting!