Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Our Grandpa is cooler than yours

O.k. My kids have three grandpas, and they are all very cool. You have to admit that makes a great title though.

For those of you I haven't told yet, my dad occasionally djs various events where he lives in Colorado. He does it in his spare time. He's done various things from a breast cancer fundraising walk/run to a Halloween party. This weekend he was the dj at a birthday party for a girl celebrating her 16th birthday. He called me this weekend for some input. In reality, I am certain I didn't help much, but since it makes me feel cool to say I did, I will go ahead and mention it. The girl was a little nervous that he wouldn't be able to play songs that she and her friends like.

In the end, he was able to cover 90% of their requests and had a great time. He might be doing another high schooler's party and was asked if he could find out about djing some of their dances. I love it and think it is great. I thought it was particularly funny that he got requests for Thriller and for Love Shack. I guess some things are timeless. The girl also wanted Baby Got Back. I was surprised as that was a song we listened to at Morp when I was in High School. My dad then sent me a pop culture web site that reminded me that it was the number one song on the charts when this girl was born. That is right, she was born in 1992. Still, I refuse to feel old. Look how cool my dad is. How can I possibly be old?

For fun, I thought I would relay what he said were some of the popular requests:

"Some of the most requested songs were Gimme More by Britney Spears, Get Low by Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz, Crank That by Soulja Boy, Low by Flo Rida , Get Buck In Here by DJ Felli Fel, Fergalicious by Fergie and Casper Cha-Cha Slide by Casper & The Live Platinum Band. Even had requests for Thriller and Love Shack. I covered more than 90% of the requests. There were some I never heard of and didn’t have like Walk it Out, Ay Bay Bay and a group called Young Jeezy. There was numerous request for Spice Girls, Britney, Infected Mushroom, and Tech-9."


Yes, THAT Britney, and I can't believe it either.

4 comments:

Bubbles said...

How cute! I loved your entry. Hey, how are you enjoying A.I. this season? I loved last night's show of the freakish guy in long nails!

Tiffany said...

Sometimes I wonder if casting goes looking for some of the freaks they put on American Idol. It is o.k. so far. Honestly, I am looking forward to Hollywood and then the actual competition. I know that makes me boring and all but there you have it.

M and M said...

Thanks Kiddo! You helped a bunch! I had a blast doing the party. The father of the girl having the party said at one point he was trying to turn off the blender, when he realized it wasn't on, the music was so loud it was vibrating like it was on.

megan said...

What a cool Grandpa!! I don't have any great stories like that!