Saturday, May 24, 2008

Discovery Dash



Today was race day. Even though school is out and it is Memorial Day weekend, we started getting out of bed early to get up to Monticello High School for the Discovery Dash. We had absolutely perfect weather. (not trying to rub it in Dad and Muriel)
Pictured on the right are our two racers. While waiting for Ashley's race, we watched the dashers (3 and 4 year olds) It was totally fun to watch them go. Sami wanted to get out there and run so badly. She is not old enough, but watching those kids go made me wonder if I should have taken the age limit less seriously. Jon, who was adamant about not running, really wanted to race once we got there. There is always next year I guess.

Ashley did great in her race. She finished at the first pack of the second half of kids. Some of those kids have run for awhile. You could tell by watching them. This was Ashley's first thing like this, and we were really proud of her. She ran the entire half mile without stopping or walking and showed really good stamina and form. Most importantly, she had a great time doing it. She wants to work on her speed now so that she can be faster next time. She really wants a trophy.

Ashley as she was finishing her first lap around the track

Video of Ashley finishing her race


Ashley claimed to be tired after her race but had plenty of energy to run down a small hill and jump on the pad the High School has for the high jump. We figure if you factor in both of her races and the playing she did in between, she ran a full mile today.

Ashley with her ribbon for finishing her race

The kids that were 9-12 ran a full mile for their race. I was impressed watching them go. The kids that won trophies (top 3 girls and boys in each age division) finished their miles in under 5 and just over 5 minutes. I used to HATE running the mile in gym when I was in High School. I mean absolutely HATE. If there wasn't somebody chasing me, why on earth would I be running? Watching these kids was inspiring. I don't want my own kids to hate those things, and I am glad for opportunities like this that focus on having fun and showing the kids just what they CAN do.

The next event for us was the parent/child relay. In this race, the parent ran the first lap and the child the second for a total of 1/2 mile. I tried to get a good picture of Trent, but he was so fast, that I didn't. I should have just taken video. He was in the first pack of dads right after the two that were out front. Good job Trent!

That is Trent with the short dark hair, white legs and sunglasses on the outside of the pack

Here is Ashley coming around the 3rd turn to finish the race. Good job Ashley!

We stuck around for the awards and raffle prizes. Wouldn't you know, Ashley won a family pass to go bowling in the raffle. Thanks Ashley! When it was time to go, my kids all wanted to have a race of their own, so I let them run on the track. I didn't think they would go all the way around it, but all three of them ran 1/4 mile. I guess that makes 1 1/4 total for Ashley today. Jon stopped and started a few times and often turned around to make sure Sami was still coming with him, but he ran 1/4 mile. We were proud. What do you think his immediate response was upon finishing the task? He asked for his trophy. Too funny.


Jon and Sami running on the far side of the track

Go Jon Go!

We ran into a couple of Trent's classmates from the JAG school. The kids were all in different age groups for the parent/child relays though, so none of them ran against each other. That could have been fun. A great day. Good job everybody.

5 comments:

M and M said...

Looks like they had a great time! Next time have Trent stop mid stride and pose for the picture ;-)

Shea said...

That sounds like a great day! Congrats Ashley 8) I love your new page..very cute.

mode36 said...

Congrats Ashley, you rock!  I hope you keep up the running and get your trophy next year!

The Simpsons said...

Great to see your family. They are growing up so fast!!! I hope all is well. just to let you know i started a blog. nothing too excited yet but I am working on it! Take care!
Shaleah

Katie said...

What a fun family activity! Congrats to Trent (and family) on graduation also--that's a wonderful accomplishment!