Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Santa Claus Book



We had this book growing up, and Tony and I used to love to read it. It was out of print for a while but is back in print and now I have my own copy to read with my kids. Ashley has abducted ours into her room and reads it before going to bed. Last night's perusal was why reindeer can fly. The book's author is Alden Perkes. The book is written as a scholarly work. Professor Perkes spent several months with Santa researching all these various things and has put together this comprehensive work. It has everything from where Santa and Mrs. Claus came from to information about the elves, why there are fake santas, how Santa gets down chimneys, why naughty children get coal and so on and so forth. This book really is so much fun. I highly recommend it. My only complaint? I don't particularly care for the recipe in there labeled Santa's favorite cookies. Therefore, we emphasize the benefit of diversity in Santa's treats with our kids.

3 comments:

Shea said...

Oh no! Don't tell me that..we are going to make those exact cookies today minus the walnuts!

We love this book..thank you again for getting it for us!!!

Tiffany said...

You will have to let me know what you think of them without the walnuts as that is my biggest gripe. Who knows, they may be absolutely fabulous without the nuts.

Shea said...

Alright..so I just made them. I left out the walnuts & the nutmeg (only because I didn't have any) and they turned out wonderful! The mixture is a bit dry but once they are baked they seem to have turned out great!