Sunday, December 20, 2009

A White Christmas

If you have watched any news in the last 36 hours, you know that the East Coast received a significant snow storm Friday evening and all through Saturday. I grew up around a lot of snow, but this (2 feet in about 24 hours) is a lot of snow and not common for this area.

We knew it was coming, so we had everything we needed at home already. Saturday morning was delightful. I stayed in bed and pretended to still be asleep. I heard footsteps come down the stairs and then a big gasp. The fact that I then heard footsteps go back up the stairs was proof that it was Jon. His sisters would have made much more noise. He returned shortly with both sisters in tow, and Trent and I heard many exclamations about how deep the snow was. Little did they know what was coming! There were several rounds of shoveling, and by the time the walk was finished, it was dusted over again. By the time the driveway was clear, it had a good covering where we started. I did most of the last of the shoveling this morning, and I am SO SORE. I will leave my commentary here, however, because Trent is off right now digging out some of our ward members, and he will be far more sore than I've any claim to. Now the sun is shining, and save the fact that we still can't see the road at all, it is gorgeous. It will definitely still be with us for Christmas, which is just wonderful. Save traveling home to Utah at Christmas, we haven't had a white Christmas in 7 years.

The kids are having an absolutely joyous time, and they haven't even dented the back yard yet. Everyone who has lived here for more than a few months tells me that they will likely call school tomorrow because though the main roads are clean, the side roads haven't been touched. That makes it difficult for buses and the children that must ride them. I can already imagine the raucous joy of three children with nothing to do tomorrow but play in all of that snow. I love it. I just hope we are back on track Tuesday as it is Ashley's winter strings concert, and I would hate for her to miss that.

Trent doing the first round of shoveling Saturday morning.

Sammy playing in the snow. (A side note: I love that that hat coat and gloves all used to belong to Ashley. I think I could dig up similar pictures of Ashley if I looked)


Jon. He is near the street not that you can tell the difference at that point.
Ashley who spent hours outside. I can't believe she didn't end up just freezing.

Check out the accumulation of snow on Trent's hat following an hour of shoveling Saturday evening. Trent took Jon to a birthday party that afternoon as I get nervous driving in significant amounts of snow. He did the finishing shovel until this morning when he got back.

We have a sky light in our living room. Our kids call it the Harry Potter ceiling because they can see the sky from inside. Right now, it looks like we are buried in snow.

Ashley doing a face plant in the snow to show off her cardboard snow shoes her dad made for her.

A final look at all the snow. This is the view from the front porch.

2 comments:

M and M said...

Wow that is a lot of snow! Looks like the kids are having a blast! Looks like there was sun shine in the pictures. Enjoy your white Christmas

Teresa said...

Ahh! Flashbacks from our record breaking snow fall last year. It started snowing one day and did not stop for almost 2 weeks. Literally. All told we got almost 6 feet of snow with the first 2 feet coming in the first 24 hours. it was crazy. My first time actually be "for real" snowed in. It was kind of fun. Have fun in the snow. Hope it slows down for you guys over there.