Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Updating

Those of you who know me know that summer isn't my favorite. I don't hate it by any means, but I don't love it either. However, I was determined to try and make this a fun summer for the kids and not a waste of 2 months. My kids make summer fun for me and the challenges that come with it enjoyable. We'd only been out of school a week when Jon went off to cub scout day camp for the first time. Jon LOVES cub scouts. He looks forward to every scouting activity. His enthusiasm makes me so happy. After the first day (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), he was fairly exhausted. He'd had a great time but told me that he was ready to be done. It took some explaining to help him realize that he still had 4 more days to go. In the end, he had a great time and won a medal for bee bee gun shooting. Among the kids working on their wolf, he scored the best on the bee bee guns. He was so pleased with himself, and we admit to being awfully proud ourselves. I wish I had a single picture of Jon at day camp. Alas I do not.

That same week my brother and his family came out to visit. What a great time we all had! No wonder Jon was a little grumpy about going to all of day camp; his cousins were here for 3 days of it. Again, I don't have any pictures. Why is it that just because I live here I don't take my camera into DC? There are opportunities missed that way. I think one of my biggest lessons learned this summer is BRING THE CAMERA!

Later in the week of July 4, we packed up and headed out for the Coast Guard JAG family picnic. I had seen the e-mail that said there would be a bounce house and face painting etc., so I felt free to tell the kids, and they were excited to partake of it ALL! When we got there, there was plenty to eat and drink and a playground and a bounce house, which they made a bee line for. As for the rest of it, there was no evidence of any such activities. Still, being who they are, they played hard and could barely be bothered to eat something. Eventually, the Coast Guard's Judge Advocate General said a few words. During this, Sammy noticed out of the corner of her eye a lady setting up a table for face painting. Before the Admiral had finished speaking, she was in the seat first and having her face painted. By the time we left, the kids had done absolutely everything there was to do. They had a great time doing it and perhaps the three of them alone justified doing it all again next year.



All ready to go!




What a face. She wouldn't run through the sprinkler later that day even though it was hot, because she didn't want to wash off her face paint




The shark's mouth moved when Jon moved his. He was pretty pleased with that.




Ashley. We wondered at her not making a new friend at the picnic. She generally does when we go different places. Turns out she did; it just happened to be the Assistant Judge Advocate General.





Tired out. Time to go.













No comments: