Tuesday, October 28, 2008

With Sadness

I learned while checking in at Article 6 blog that Dean Barnett passed away yesterday. I am certain few if any of you are familiar with Dean Barnett. I came across his writing about a year ago now and really enjoyed reading him. I tended to agree with him for the most part, but even when I didn't, I was better informed for reading and thinking about his arguments. He was so passionate about living the best life a person could live and was equally dedicated to everything he wrote about (politics, sports, family, life). He recently left Townhall to write for the Weekly Standard. I gave up reading the Weekly Standard a while ago but would drift over there occasionally to read Dean. If anyone is interested in the tributes to Dean Barnett, they are cataloged there.

Following early losses this year of Tim Russert and Tony Snow, I think the death of Dean Barnett is an additional loss to those who enjoy really good political analysis and journalism. All 3 men were passionate about their country, about the role of government and about American politics. The world of politics, of journalism, and the world in general is a lesser place with them gone. This election, which has been an ugly episode for American journalism, is less for not having their insight.

No comments: