Sunday, June 22, 2008

Black Eyed Susans and Fireflies

Today on the way home from church, I noticed a beautiful patch of black eyed susans on the side of the road. I nearly stopped in the rain to pick some. I don't usually think of black eyed susans as favorite flowers not even as favorite wild flowers, but something about them was just lovely. The last couple of nights, the fireflies have been out. I think they like it that we have had rain. Everything is damp and humid. Tonight, all the kids were able to come out and see the fireflies. It was nothing like the picture I posted. There were just groups of small flashes here and there, but they all found some, and it was a lot of fun. It also brought on lines from Mater and the Ghostlight, which brought on plenty of laughs. Why am I posting this goofy musing? It reminded me how grateful I am sometimes for small seemingly insignificant things. Little Wonders. By the way, midsummer's night has come and gone. Happy official summer to all. The days will now begin to get shorter until late December.




3 comments:

Shea said...

I have never seen a firefly before..that picture looks amazing!

The flowers are beautiful. I take it you didn't pick any?

Tiffany said...

Didn't pick any. I am trying to remember my "training." I am guilty of picking more than a couple of California poppies I admit. My girls already have a flower picking propensity, so I thought I better not encourage it just in case.

M and M said...

I bet the kids had a blast chasing the fireflies!

Awesome!