Monday, July 21, 2008

Location Lists

We have been here in Virginia for almost a year now, and this Sunday we were reflecting again on all the things we miss about living in California and the things we like about living here. I would make them top ten lists for you, but I am too lazy to rank them. However, since I personally love such lists, I thought I would share.

Things We Miss About California

1. The Beach. It was nice to be able to take a 45 minute drive and wade in the ocean and watch the sunset. We did it often, and the kids loved it as well. It is cold to be sure, but it was still wonderful.

2. San Francisco. O.k., I admit that I avoided driving in the city if at all possible, and it has plenty of issues to be sure. Still, it is a really beautiful place, and there are so many things to see and do.

3. Yosemite/Muir Woods/Sierra Nevadas/The Jelly Belly Factory. It would probably be better to label this proximity to cool places to visit. The kids insisted on adding the Jelly Belly Factory. It is really fun though. Trent added the Yosemite. I wouldn't know how great it is or isn't. The Sierra Nevadas were added mainly because Trent swears the skiing there was good. (Not as good as Utah though.)

4. The weather. It was rarely super hot. The weather is just generally quite nice. It is probably some of the best all around weather anywhere.

5. Schools. Specifically, I miss Independent Elementary. It was a very good school with very good teachers and goals and organization etc. etc. etc. AND it had half day kindergarten!

6. Miss Lorrie. I suppose this could fall under schools. Ashley and Jon both learned so much from Miss Lorrie at pre-school. She is amazing and understanding and wonderful. I wish Jon could have had a second year there and that Samantha could go.

7. My utility bills. What?!?!?!? you might respond. No really, my water bill was MUCH less than it is here, and since we didn't have air conditioning, the electric/gas bill was only high in the winter. The phone bill was much better as well because we had more choices for service. We can't get AT&T where we are now. We are a bit stuck options wise.

8. 75 MPH. That is something I miss about the West in general. You NEVER see speed limits like that out here, and, quite frankly, with a few brief exceptions, there is nowhere you could open up to 75 MPH anyhow. Sigh.

9. Proximity to Utah. It was nice to be able to drive 12 hours and be home.

10. This would be ranked number 1 if I were ranking them of course. Our friends. We made some of the best friends you could in California. I haven't had good girlfriends like that in awhile. I am talking lifelong friends here. I miss my friends.

I will post the Virginia list later. For now, I am back to work and all that fun stuff.

3 comments:

megan said...

What a great list! I have to agree on everything...especially the friends.

Tiffany said...

I would hope that you and Jill in particular would agree about the friends. ;)

Bubbles said...

I agree 100% with your list. I miss San Fran too!