Sunday, January 11, 2009

Buttermilk Brownies

I got this recipe out of a magazine that Trent's Aunt Dee gave me a couple Christmases or so ago. It is the Better Homes and Garden 100 Best Cookies edition. I know there are other amazing more decadent etc. etc. brownie recipes out there. I absolutely love this one though, because it is simple, it keeps well (I like them better completely cooled and on the second day in fact), and my kids and other kids I have made them for LOVE them. Furthermore, they are as the recipe claims, virtually foolproof. We made them for movie night on Friday and have shared them with some friends, and now I will post the recipe for anyone who might want it.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1 or 13x9x2 baking pan; set aside. (I use the 15x10x1 because I have one and because I like them not to be as tall, but I am sure they would work out just fine the other way as well) Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder, and water. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes for the 15x10 pan and 35 minutes for the 13x9x2 pan, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

4. Pour warm Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting over the warm brownies, spreading evenly. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting:

In a medium saucepan, combine:
1/4 cup butter
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons buttermilk

Bring to boiling. Remove from heat and add:
2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat until smooth. If desired, stir in 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts (I have NEVER done this. Jon won't eat anything in his chocolate. If you like nuts, you can give it a shot)

4 comments:

Tony and Amanda said...

These will add more cottage chesse to my butt. Great, thanks Tiffany. JK.

Tony and Amanda said...

I got thinking about this last comment I posted. That is probably way more information then you ever wanted to know! :)

Tiffany said...

Ha! Ha! YOU do not get to talk to me about cottage cheese on one's posterior. Ha!

The brownies are good there. They are worth a try at least once.

Tony and Amanda said...

HAHA. I am sure they are very good. They sound very good.