Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Potomac Primaries

Today is Potomac Primary day. That consists of Washington D.C., Virginia and Maryland. I feel like I have been waiting to vote for a long time even though it really hasn't been that long. My candidate got out of the race, and those candidates I would call a second choice are gone as well. Really, the candidates left are varying degrees of cringe inducing for me. I thought about what I was going to do. Virginia is an open primary, so I could vote in either party's primary. I tossed out the idea of voting/meddling in the Democratic primary, because I am unlikely to vote Democrat in November. (I haven't ruled it out though) To vote/meddle in that primary would be to make a hypocrite of myself as I have previously criticized that exact behaviour. Initially, I was just going to vote for my guy even though he is out of the race. It would be making a point of some kind I thought. Then this weekend happened, and I thought a lot about what I wanted to accomplish.

In the end, I figured anything I was going to do was going to amount to a protest vote of some kind. I chose to vote for John McCain, the remaining candidate I have the fewest gripes with. However, I didn't vote for John McCain so much as I chose to vote against Mike Huckabee. The faster he is finished with this campaign, the better for America in my opinion, and voting for McCain is the more effective way of achieving that result. Trent mentioned that I might regret this vote if Huckabee is the VP candidate for McCain. I decided that would not be the case. I would simply have the opportunity to vote in protest again in November. I probably sound bitter. Perhaps I am a bit. For now, I have voted in protest. Now I am going to indulge in some angry and sad music while completing chores. Besides, I e-mailed in my quandry and made the Corner at National Review. That's got to be worth something as far as getting my opinion out.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Tiff. You are just so great!! I love reading your political commentary and thinking back to our debate days. So you were a big Romney fan, eh? We're still waiting for our primaries in March. I join you in your hate for Mike Huckabee, and don't know if I could live with him as a VP candidate. I'm feeling like McCain is probably the best option for the country as a whole right now . . . we'll see what happens I guess!