Saturday, February 2, 2008

This Weekend's Holiday


Well, it is Groundhog's Day again. This Saturday, poor Punxsutawney Phil was pulled out of his hole and among countless flashing cameras, it was determined that he saw his shadow. As a result, we will have 6 more weeks of winter.
It is no secret that I think Groundhog's Day is a joke. Now that I am a parent of children who seem to enjoy sleeping in on a school day and waking up bright and early on Saturday, I empathize more than ever with poor Phil. Here he is asleep and cozy in his ground hog home and some very rude people pull him out of his rest and force him to pose for flashing cameras and jabbering reporters. I suppose Phil at least gets to go back to bed when it is over.
Trent wants me to note that he thinks Groundhog's Day is a noble tradition and a great holiday as well as very uplifting to the soul. Whatever.

No comments: