Thursday, February 21, 2008

Afternoon at the Museum


This past President's Day weekend, we took the kids for a quick day trip to D.C. (It isn't that quick, but it is quick enough to do once in a while.) This time, we went to the Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian. We really only saw about a third of it, but it was so much fun. When you go inside the front doors, there is a large rotunda with an elephant in the middle. You then go around to different areas off to the side. Between the rotunda and the dinosaur section, the kids were convinced everything in that museum came to life at night. Jon even asked where Larry was. If you do not understand what any of that is about, watch Night at the Museum.

Jon loved the section with dinosaurs and other early life. We all enjoyed the mammal section, and Ashley and Trent particularly liked the mineral and gem section. They have the hope diamond on display, but I missed it I am afraid. Trent saw it though. Ashley loved the new butterfly display even though we didn't have tickets for her to go inside the habitat. There is an ocean section currently under construction. We will definately have to go back for that one. Regardless of how hard I tried, I couldn't get a picture of any of the dinosaurs. The lighting was too dark. Here are a few other pictures though.

A giant prehistoric sloth. Both fascinating and bizarre.


Ashley in front of the wooly mammoth skeleton


The glare off the case is bad, but I included the walrus anyhow. Aren't walruses funny?


Check out that moose!

This reminded me a bit of my kids.

I really love the Smithsonian. It is fun to take the kids and see how excited they get by the different exhibits. They really want to go back to Air and Space. Ashley wants to see the real ruby slippers again. However, the Treasures of American History exhibit that is currently at Air and Space will be moved back to its home, the Museum of American History, when that museum is refurbished this April. What a great excuse to go back!

We tried to go to the National Archives so that I could run in quickly and see the Declaration of Independence, but it was closed. I have been to the Smithsonian 3 times now in my life and still have never been in the National Archives and seen those documents. Now, I know that I joke (mostly) that I wish National Treasure were real, but I am not going to try and steal the Declaration of Independence. Honest. I have since discovered that the Constitution is being cared for so it won't be on display until March. Therefore, I will take some consolation in knowing a later trip is likely to be more successful.

7 comments:

megan said...

SO JEALOUS!! I have always wanted to go there. Want me and 3 kids for a visit during spring break? Just kidding. You wouldn't want to be my friend ever again after that!

Tiffany said...

It is fun, and it is free! I would love to see you and your 3 kids for spring break. I can imagine what fun Ashley and Claire and Emily could have or what trouble they could get into. Either way, it would be great.

Shea said...

Looks like you guys had a great trip!! I would love to visit someday 8) How long of a drive is it from where you are to the museum?

Tiffany said...

Shea, we are about 2 hours away from D.C. If you have to factor in stopping and traffic and finding a place to park, it usually runs closer to 2.5 hours.

Bubbles said...

I love that museum and of course all the museums in D.C. Did you guys go to the spy museum by any chance? That's so cool

mode36 said...

I am jealous! You live really close to a lot of great places I would love to visit! Maybe we will have to plan a visit like the one to California...you know, shortly before you leave! Love you!

Tiffany said...

Hey Goob. You should visit if you can. We will leave the Charlottesville area in summer '09. We may very well spend the next 4 years after that in the D.C. area though, in which case we would be closer. Won't know until 1) we see shopping list in fall and 2) actual assignments are made early next year.

Melissa, we have not made it to the spy museum yet, but there is still plenty of time for visiting many more places.