Monday, November 24, 2008

Ashley's Baptism

This past Saturday, Ashley was baptized. What a great day it turned out to be. Trent's parents and his youngest sister, Katie came out for it, and we've had a great visit.

Ashley's baptism was scheduled for 1:00 p.m. because when I called to schedule the building, there was another baptism from another ward scheduled for that morning. Afternoon was fine by me, but as we got closer to the day, I grew increasingly concerned about the water in the font. It takes at least 2 hours to fill it. Anyhow, I told as many people as I could think of to help insure that the plug was not pulled from the earlier baptism. Still, when we couldn't get a hold of anyone that morning, I vowed to be there at least an hour early. The girls packed up and left to do a quick bit of shopping and then got to the church just before noon. The boys were there by quarter after, and it was a good thing. Sure enough, there was no water in the font. In addition to that, we were locked out from getting to the font and to the dressing room. Katie, brilliant of course, checked the doors through both bathrooms and as luck would have it, the door between the men's bathroom and men's dressing room was still unlocked. Hooray! Katie and I read the directions and started the font, but we were now looking at 2:00. Trent and his dad saved the day though. Without a moment's hesitation, Trent (who had brought his lock pick set), opened the door to the girls' dressing room and then hooked up a hose from the janitor's closet into the font. His dad filled some large buckets, and we transported that way until the hose was going. The font was filled right on time. Everything else went off without a hitch. Being a typical event for our family, though, we had to have our moment of funny. Ours came when Ashley came out of the water and Jon stood up and put his hands out in front of him and proclaimed, "It's alive!" Too funny. Ashley did get her "California style baptism" complete with a few snacks and kids sitting on the floor eating them and then playing around for a few moments while the grown ups talked.
Trent and Ashley all ready to go

Our Primary President, and my friend, Mandy Carroll, fixed my camera for me so that every shot I take will stop having that halo glare. It is sad that I didn't even know what I did to the settings to get it that way and therefore had no idea how to fix it. Did I mention that Mandy is an extremely talented photographer? Anyhow, through testing the camera, we got this cute shot of Katie leading the music. We actually used a cd player. I wondered in retrospect if we should have thought of something like that during my baptism at which my good friend Katie Iverson played for over an hour.
Ashley with Grandma LeOra and Grandpa Jon after the baptism.
Wait! We can't forget Katie.
Here we all are braving the cold (except Katie who took the picture but also braved the cold).

6 comments:

mode36 said...

Congratulations, Ashley!  We are all happy for you!

megan said...

Congrats Ashley! What a day! Jon is TOO funny!! Glad she has warm water. Just before Claire was baptized they fixed the hot water heater. They had been boiling water before that and dumping it into the font with the cold water. CRAZY!

Shea said...

Congrats Ashley! We love you and miss you!!

Jill said...

Glad everything went well on Ashley's big day. And glad to hear that she got her "California" style baptism. Congratulations Ashley!

(I cannot comment on your post above, as we here are still in mourning.)

Tiffany said...

I'm sort of sorry for your loss Jill. Look on the bright side, there is always the Vegas Bowl, and that one will be much easier to actually go to.

Amy & Mark said...

Congratulations, Ashley! What a hectic day, but a great parent pay-day! I'm impressed by your resourcefulness!