Thursday, August 28, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dream

45 years ago today, the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous I Have a Dream Speech. I love that speech. Who doesn't right? Seriously though, along with the text of the Declaration of Independence and the Gettysburg Address, that speech contains so much of the roots and reality of what America is and should be would it rise to its full potential.

Unless you have not been paying any attention to the news, I am sure you are aware that on the 45th anniversary of that speech, Barack Obama will give his own speech accepting the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. Many a political pundit will go on about some fulfillment of Dr King's dream in the fact that Barack Obama is the first black American to be a party nominated contender for the U.S. Presidency. I tend to see this as some fulfillment of that dream as well, but perhaps not for the same reason.

In his speech, Martin Luther King Jr. expressed the desire that his children (and all individuals really) might be judged not, "by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." It is my opinion that Barack Obama happens to be a black man who has received the Democratic nomination to be president not that he received that nomination because he is black. Yes, I know race has not been absent from this Presidential cycle, and I found myself gravely disappointed with Senator Obama's response to the whole Jeremiah Wright controversy. I also know that race is a motivator for some to get out and vote for Senator Obama. Though Obama's race has been a contributing factor, I do not believe It has been the compelling factor in his success. Furthermore, contrary to Jacob Weisberg (who I seriously disagree with out of principle most of the time), I sincerely believe that if Obama is not elected the next President of the United States, it will not be because of his race. I don't tend to agree with Senator Obama politically. I am highly unlikely to vote for him, but this fact about his nomination and about this presidential race is a very good thing.

If Barack Obama is successful in his presidential campaign, do I think difficulties in race relations will stop? No. I would like to see that whole dream realized. I would like to see the term, "Uncle Tom," become a term that is considered unacceptable to use. I would like to see people stop throwing Oreos at successful black politicians. There is still a lot of work to be done. However, for now, on the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's speech, it is my opinion that we are seeing an American who happens to be black who, during the remaining course of this campaign, will be judged not based on the color of his skin but on his record, his ability, and the content of his character and will, based on that record, ability and character either succeed or fail.

No comments: