Friday, August 22, 2008

When All Else Fails, Try a Pedicure

We are on day three of Sami's sliver. She has had more than one bath a day to soften the skin, and she spent an hour at the pool today. I have gotten to my wits' end watching her try not to walk on her heal and knowing that the sliver wouldn't be that hard to remove if she could calm down and hold still. Since Trent is on an over night scout trip, I decided to do a little something different than family movie night. Jon was off drawing a pirate map anyhow, so I decided the girls would all do pedicures. I soaked my feet in the bath, so Sami and Ashley did too. I used the pumice stone, so Ashley and then Sami, who doesn't like to miss out, scrubbed their heals with the pumice stone. Do you see where I am headed here? I trimmed toenails and while I was trimming Sami's toenails, I sneaked a clip at the skin over the sliver. I was lucky that in the brief time she allowed that, I exposed more of the sliver. I painted her toenails and then Ashley's. I went to check Sami's toenails and asked her to blow on them. While she was blowing on them, I got a good look at her sliver. Things got dicey after that. When I pulled out the tweezers, she started to freak out and kick with her free foot. I basically had to sit on her. (Don't worry. I didn't hurt her. I just restrained her free foot and her hand she was using to cover her injured heal.) After a few minutes of kicking and screaming and trying to get her as still as possible, I got a grip on the sliver and pulled it out. We then celebrated through the tears with big hugs and a band aid. Hurray! The sliver is out! As a bonus, we girls all have pretty toenails. Hopefully Sami will do better now about putting on shoes before she goes out.

3 comments:

Katie said...

What a great idea! So glad you got the nasty sliver out.

Shea said...

See how creative you are?! Yeah..I NEVER would have thought of that. That is awesome!!

Oh, and I am so glad the sliver is out. Isn't it funny how a band aid always helps after? :)

Tiffany said...

Don't know that it would work that well for you Shea. Somehow I doubt purple sparkly nail polish is as appealing to your boys. ;)